Saturday, March 26, 2011

Our Hospital Stay

We've had a LONNNNNNNNNNG week!!

And to make a LONNNNNNNNNNG story short, Kaitlyn was admitted to the hospital last Monday after she'd had a bad cough for a couple of days. It escalated Sunday night when she would start coughing so hard that she couldn't catch her breath and her lips started turning blue. As soon as they would see us they checked her oxygen levels which should be mid to upper 90's and hers were hovering right around 83. They took chest X-rays (which I wish I'd had my camera for! They strapped her into this plexiglass tube attached to a lazy suzan while sitting on a bicycle looking seat with her feet dangling down, her arms stretched above her head. As they needed different angles they would just sort of spin this lazy suzan and she would rotate. I've never wanted to laugh and cry so hard at the same time in my LIFE!)

They did breathing treatments, had her hooked up to oxygen and would suction her out often throughout the day (which she HATED! I've never seen her put up such a resistance... she fought hard!) All the hospital personnel that came into the room had to wear yellow masks and yellow drapes because they thought she might also have Pertusses (whooping cough). One of the Nurses kidded that Kaitlyn would NEVER want to wear or see yellow again!

She was positive for RSV but ended up being negative for whooping cough. She did also have an ear infection... poor baby!

Payton quite enjoyed the hospital environment. His favorite (besides pretending to be a Dr. in his Mickey Mouse mask) was the endless supply of chocolate milk!

I don't think we saw her smile for a good five days...

We were happy when it reemmerged!

Thank Heaven for Grandma is all I have to say! I don't know if we would have made it through the week without her extra set of hands. Getting Gage to school, Payton back and forth from the hospital while Nathan had class, and taking care of the disaster that was my living room (I had started painting right before this all happened so the furniture and everything was piled into the middle of the room! Having her there also allowed Nathan and I to do a trade off during the night. He would stay with Miss K the first half of the night then I would come in at 2am to take over. Hospitals are not conducive to a good night sleep for sure!


We have so much love and support we feel INCREDIBLY blessed! Ward temple night was supposed to be Tues and we were very excited to go, because it would be our last time in the Ogden Temple before it is closed for 2+ years for a major remodel. We had so many people from the ward call and ask how they could help, offer meals, offer prayers, offer to take the boys. Bishop even came by the hospital to check on us. He told us that they would put Kaitlyn's name on the prayer roll that night. Our amazing Home Teachers came to help Nathan give her blessing. Jeff & Heather also got us dinner. Again... we're very blessed.

Kaitlyn is SOOOO happy to be home where the people in yellow aren't here to suction her out (little did she know that mom & dad would take over that job!) We've been to her Dr. for a checkup this week and she's doing great her Oxygen was up to 93 and her ear infection is almost gone. We'll be back in this Thursday but things are going well.

Here's Kaitlyn, happy to be home and loving her daddy...


Through all of this Nathan & Payton were sick as well. Nathan is over it now, Payton's is dying down (after a TERRIBLE few days of trying to keep him from getting dehydrated and forcing him to eat the BRAT's diet!) and now Gage is getting a cough. I've yet to get anything, knock on wood, which is a REALLY good thing... I don't know what we'd do if I was sick too! (Sorry you caught it as well Grandma!)

4 comments:

Catherine said...

Oh my gosh, if you need anything let us know!!

Courtney said...

I'm so sorry! I'm glad she's home and feeling better. I wish I had been there to help!! Poor baby girl.

Russell and Emilie said...

I'm glad to hear that she's doing better, I can't believe how big she's getting! She's is for sure a cutie!

Sharon said...

Oh so scary. Hang in there, this has been a horrible cold/cough year for everyone. We have relative that had 2 children in the hospital at once with rsv. Prayers sent you way. Our little Daxton came home from the hospital with the junk. (pretty rare for a newborn) It has went through all of us for the second time. We will welcome SUMMER!