So, I said that I would post a picture of this dress with my little model and here She is!
Her blessing dress ended up this way because of a conversation that I had with one of my visiting teachers. She said that she had one pillowcase that was her grandmothers and had decided to use it to make her daughter's blessing dress. She never did it but that gave me inspiration! I had two pillowcases from my Grandma Wells one of which she had started embroidering the flowers but never finished. I'm not quite sure how they ended up in my possession but I decided to use my vt's idea and use this pillowcase from my grandma to make a blessing dress for Kaitlyn. I luckily have a second so that If I end up with a second girl I can make a second one as well.
It was sort of trial and error. I bought a dress that had the pleated top that I wanted and used it as a pattern. I finished embroidering the design on the bottom with different shades of white thread except for continuing the pink that my grandma had started.
I have to say I'm REALLY happy with how it turned out!
She wasn't really happy about taking photos this morning so, I'll probably try again but I also want to share the poem that goes with this bonnet. Judy has made one for each of the kids and I think it's adorable.
As square as I can be
Until three simple stitches
Make a bonnet out of me
From home to your blessing
I will cover baby's head.
Then I'll be fondly packed away
Until the day the child is wed.
For on that day, the well dressed bride
Must carry something old.
To insure a life of happiness,
or so the legend's told.
Then take the baby's bonnet
From the place where it abides,
Just snip a stitch or two
And I'm a hanky for the bride.
Should fate decree it is a boy
Whose head that I first grace.
I'll be a gift for his new bride.
Her hanky trimmed with lace.

2 comments:
Tears! That is so special. My Mom also embroidered so many pillow cases too. My Grandmother tatted on a hankie for my wedding. I'll have to share the idea. Special, Special! SHE IS BEAUTIFUL!
The dress is beautiful, and she will cherish it FOREVER.
Post a Comment