Thursday, March 29, 2012

Staples...


Monday March 19th. The boys were downstairs watching a cartoon. I was just getting ready to lay Kaitlyn down for a nap when I heard a crash... glass breaking... and a loud scream of pain. I put Kaitlyn down in her crib and ran into the kitchen just when Payton made it to the top of the stairs. He had blood specks all over his face and nice little trickle coming down the back of his head!

Our large family photo that hangs above the couch had fallen (later Gage admitted that he had accidentally bumped it with a swimming noodle) and crashed right on the crown of his head. The glass shattered and little pieces had cut his face and neck. None of them were very large but I knew immediately that the one on the top of his head would need some stitches of some kind.
We got him all cleaned up, he was wearing his hoodie and it filled with glass shards. I called Wee Care and they scheduled me with the next available Dr that did sutures. 
He sat on the couch with a wet cloth on his head while I cleaned the pile of glass off the sectional.

When we got to the office they had the Fox & The Hound playing. Payton has never seen it so he was engrossed. They cleaned his wound with "Pink Medicine" and while the nurse was patting it he said
"But Mom! It's getting into my BRAIN!" The nurse got a good laugh about that!
They put some numbing gel on it and let it sit for a while. We just kept enjoying the Fox & The Hound. He was soooo brave!
The Dr came in and 3 STAPLES later we were on our way home. I stopped and got him a slushy from 7-11. I figured that that was earned :)
We got home and showed Daddy and Gage (who was pretty upset about it!) Nate said that it looked like they needed to be hammered in a little further... Yuck! But it was the truth.

It made me think about when my Grandpa Wells had heart surgery and had a long incision site down the center of his chest closed with a long row of staples. He wore his button-up shirt open for a while so they didn't get rubbed. I remember my little cousin Samantha saying,
"Grandpa that looks yucky! Can you close your shirt!:" I was so embarrassed that she'd said it even though he sort of laughed. I'll admit as a kid it was a pretty awful thing to see! Mostly because the thought of staples going into skin was enough to make you cringe... especially on someone you loved! I guess that hasn't changed.

It just happened that the day the staples were meant to come out was the day we had a Fondue Night with the Morgan family that they had purchased at the ward auction last year and never redeemed... we were busy moving, then holidays, etc. 
Do you know anyone with a staple remover? Cause I do! Shannon volunteered to remove the staples herself to save us a trip to the Dr... and the following bill. Yes, please!

 Sort of fascinating and disgusting to watch all at the same time :) So I took pictures. 
It was a fun night of friends and yummy food! Kaitlyn especially loves her new friend Jubel. The look on her face for this second one is just priceless!! 
  
 Thanks for the fun! And the staple removal! And the long list of home projects that Jubel said he would give Nate a hand with :)

No comments: