Monday, August 16, 2010

Hooray for Gage!

Saturday night I was getting ready to make a quick trip to the store and Nathan was outside riding bikes with the boys. I got to the car and gage was crying. I asked what was wrong and he pointed to a broken training wheel. Nathan said that he was refusing to ride it with just one training wheel so I told Gage that it was probably time we took both training wheels off and he learn to ride without them. He screamed NO! and started to tear up again. I reminded him that his friend Tanner could ride without training wheels and wouldn't it be cool if he started out Kindergarten able to ride on two wheels. So, daddy started to wheel the three legged bike onto the patio to remove a training wheel while I went to the store. Part of me said that I should tell Nathan to grab the video-camera but I remembered how traumatic learning to ride on two wheels was for me (seriously Dad... you just let go when you feel like it?) and knew that they would be at this for a while. Not 35 minutes later I was back from the store and wasn't surprised to see that the bike-riders were inside. I stepped in the front door expecting to see a teary Gage still mourning over the lost training wheels and the failed first attempt at riding his bike solo. Instead when I opened the door Gage jumped up and yelled "MOM, YOU'VE GOT TO CHECK ME OUT!" I followed him outside and watched as he jumped onto the bike and took off cruising. As he made each turn he looked at me and said "Look Mom, I'm drifting." I could hardly contain my excitement! I ran inside and grabbed the camera to catch a few pictures of this momentous occasion. Gage is an official two-wheeler! Congrats big boy!!
Look at this little peddler! I can't believe how fast he can get going on this thing... looks like Santa might need to deliver a big boy bike to a three year old this year!

1 comment:

Catherine said...

YAY!!! Gage way to go!!