Monday August 23, 2010 was Gager's first day of Kindergarten. It seems like it's been a little rough getting started. He had assessment testing on August 4th because here in Davis County the Legislature designates a "high risk" category of children that have all day Kindergarten... I was worried about his test for WEEKS beforehand. I didn't want him gone all day, and was worried he would get really shy during testing and not answer questions. When he came out of the room the lady that tested him said that he was definitely ready for Kindergarten and told us to expect a letter with his class assignment in a couple weeks.
The letter came only a week and a half before school was scheduled to start! He has A.M. Kindergarten which is what we were hoping for and I absolutely LOVE his teacher. Monday I was able to go to school with him and get all the schedule and syllabus papers for her curriculum throughout the year. Gage got to figure out where everything is in his class and the school. It was a very relaxed way of getting him used to his big boy school. During that time they assigned us a slot during the week for his State Testing so he didn't have regular classes all week. His teacher told me that she wished they would stop testing these poor kids and let her start teaching!



Look at how much taller he is than everyone in his class, I got a kick out of that! ;0)
Look at how much taller he is than everyone in his class, I got a kick out of that! ;0)
Every picture I tried to take in front of the school had him in some pose like this one below... He's SUPER excited about his new shoes. He's been running all over the house in them, rolling over the ottoman and doing "tricks". It's too funny! I remember being so excited about new school stuff every year too.
Well, he did his state testing yesterday and I got to sit outside the door making a photo frame. I couldn't hear what they were asking him but I did see his facial expressions and heard some of his answers (and giggles). When they finished his teacher gave him a little metal that went around his neck with a ribbon. She looked at me and said "You have a little sponge!" I knew that. "We breezed through that test without a problem so I showed him some first grade math problems." Oh, we've never done math at home... not formal problems anyway. She said, "I asked if he had ever seen this before and he said 'No, but that's a plus sign so I just add them, right?' and he did it." Proud Mama right here ;)
We came back last night for Back to School so that Gage could show Nathan his class room and have a chance to meet his teacher. He's sure excited for regular classes to start on Monday. Each night at dinner we ask what every one's best/ worst part of the day was. Gage's best for yesterday was "doing that school thing". If he likes the boring testing he's going to LOVE Kindergarten!

2 comments:
Congrat! Your first child in Kindergarten. SUch an EXCITING time! Did you notice my grand daughter Kylie started Kinder too! The first day she was so excited she got sick! She is loving it. Although Laura said they only go for 2 1/2 hours. Here in Kansas they go all day. Crazy hu! Hope you all have a GREAT year! SO excited to hear when the new little girl comes into your lives!
XO Sharon
Gage is looking just like his daddy these days! I can't believe you have a Kindergartner! Next year Hinckley goes in...wow. Time is flying!
Post a Comment